Thursday, September 3, 2009

My creative juices are flowing

I've been honing my sewing skills diligently lately and these are some of the stuff I've made. I have to say...the sense of satisfaction of holding the finished product is AWESOME!

Oh-so-cute Puff Purses from Nicole Mallalieu Designs

Beach Bag also from Nicole Mallalieu Designs

This bag was made as a nappy/carry-everthing baby bag for my cousin who is having her first baby. Very very exciting! It's got lots of pockets (6 on the outside and more on the inside) for carrying all the things that babies need....which from my lack of experience I'm guessing would include nappies, wipes, formula, towels and a change of clothes? I reckon the Circus Train fabric from Koka is too cute! Maybe I'll use the rest of it to make a matching bib or Henrietta the Hippo from Audrey and Maude. They have really cute patterns for stuffed animals. Stay tuned to see if I'm actually game enough to try. Still not very confident about sewing 3-dimensional things!

I reckon patterns are like cooking recipes...there are some out there which just don't cut it. No matter how closely you follow the instructions, the final piece just doesn't turn out like the accompanying picture. Nicole Mallalieu's patterns DO NOT fall into this category though. Her patterns are AWESOME. They are so clear and come with so many handy tips...perfect for a sewing newbie like me! Can't wait to try her other patterns! (although I think I should try the different variations for the ones I already have).


3 comments:

ambette said...

Wow, the beach/nappy bag looks great! I really have to do the zippered gusset on something. I know zippers aren't that hard, but it always seems like a lot of extra effort. I should stop being lazy.

JadeMomma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JadeMomma said...

You should! It makes the finished bag look really 'profesh' in my opinion!